Friday, November 30, 2012

Mawwiage


Being only my 14th post, I can assure you that this will be the most controversial post to date.

I'm going to do my best to NOT share my opinion on this, but only to make you think and re-evaluate what many of you have thought about marriage.

A lot of talk about defining marriage has been in circulation because of Washington's vote on R74 (Washington's referendum on allowing same-sex marriages). Should we redefine marriage to allow same-sex couples or should we keep the Biblical view of marriage.

(I'm going to share my opinion here:) Yes! I believe we should have a Biblical view of marriage.

Here's the kicker, though...

America doesn't have a Biblical view of marriage. Oh, really? I must be missing the part of the Bible that says "Whosever desireth to marry a woman musteth taketh his application to his government and upon being granted a license to betroath his wife, may arrange a public ceremony in order to sign the legal documents. Upon review by a man who doth practice law, the man and the woman shall be hereby married."

As one comedian put it, (who I will censor greatly): "If marriage [in the present day mindset] didn't exist, would you invent it? Would you go "Baby, what we got together, it's so good we gotta get the government in on this. We can't just share this commitment 'tweenst us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this, baby."

So can we just call it like it is? Marriage, as currently defined in America, is a contract. Now hear me out. I am not married because I signed a legal document. I am married because I made a commitment to God and to my wife. What those legal documents get me is a few social benefits. Hmm... sounds like a contract to me.


Here's an added bonus that will most likely become another post some day:

To those in the church (universal) and those that claim to be Christians: Have you ever wondered that maybe people see us as hypocrites when we criticize homosexual marriage because we suck at marriage? The divorce rate in the church is just as high, if not higher. And let's face it, a lot of Christian marriages are just boring, dry, and look miserable. Why would people want to emulate that?? We're setting the example, right??

But I digress...

So this is all just for you to think more about. Stop thinking that America has a Biblical view of marriage. We don't. Maybe you could say that we have a traditional view, but there's nothing Biblical about government paperwork declaring a marriage. Why are we petitioning the government to define what marriage is or what marriage isn't. Who gave them a say in the matter? God instituted marriage, did he not?

If you want to have the argument about whether same-sex couples should get married, at least understand that you're not talking about marriage. You're talking about a social contract.

(If you want my actual personal views on all this, feel free to contact me privately)

No comments:

Post a Comment