Friday, December 14, 2012

Blessed Are Those Who Mourn

For those that are unaware, last Monday Keri and I were informed that we would no longer be able to have our own children.

Four days later, and I'm still not sure how I'm suppose to react.

My first reaction to the news was tears, then quickly became "God is in control, and he has a reason for this." I truly do believe this is true, so how can I be sad about God's plan? Is there a contradiction there?

Can we be sad about God's plan, and yet still trust it?

Well if we believe that God is sovereign over all, and we shouldn't be sad about God's plan, then that would mean that sadness and mourning would be wrong.

Obviously this can't be the case:

Matthew 5:4 - "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"
     
Job 1:20 - "Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped."
      (I did shave my head on Tuesday, but it wasn't as a sign of mourning)

John 11:35 - "Jesus wept"
      In response to his friend, Lazarus', death, Jesus Himself wept for him. Why would he do that if 1) He could have kept him from dying and 2) knew that He was about to raise him from the dead?


So here's my bottom line: I'm sad, and yet I trust Him.

When starting a family, Keri and I always said that we would have kids until He stopped us, thinking that we'd probably end up with our own TV show and a sponsorship from Pampers; but here we are, done after two kids.

"Hey all you kids waiting to be adopted: Watch out! We're coming for you..."



1 comment:

  1. I just reread this entry.....over two years later. It brought tears to my eyes, just like it did then. "Yet will I trust." I see you two doing that. And I am blessed beyond words! Love you!

    ReplyDelete